Thursday, December 31, 2009

Guns and Gear Review # 5: Smith and Wesson CKSUR-4G fixed blade knife

Hello folks, 12-Gauge Chimp here with the first of many knife reviews.

Today, I'm going to be reviewing the Smith and Wesson " Homeland Security " fixed blade knife.

I'll start by listing the factory specs on the knife and then move on to what I think.

Factory specifications for: S&W CKSUR-4G fixed blade ( CKSUR-4G is the model number )
Blade type: tanto style, full tang
Blade material: 440C stainless steel
Length: 5.5"
Weight: 14.8 ounces
Overall length: 11.75"

Now here's what I think of the knife.

This knife is a beast and what I mean by that is that the knife is very durable, not to mention the weight of it. It would make a very good rough use camp or combat knife, the steel used is 440C stainless, which is a good steel for high quality knife blades. It's a full tang knife and by that I mean the tang of the knife, where the grips usually go, is the same width as the blade. There are various types of knife tang styles, with full tang being the strongest and most wanted.

The grips on it are made of something called G10, which I'm guessing is some type of plastic. The sheath that comes with it is made of ABS plastic and ballistic nylon with a large "D" ring on the end of it. It can be worn on either a belt ( be sure to have a heavy duty belt, due to the weight of the knife ) or on a tactical vest. It even comes with a sharpening stone, which has it's own little pocket on the sheath.

I haven't done a whole lot of cutting tests with it, but I will soon and update this entry with the results. I will, however, say that it is sharp. Not exactly " shaving " sharp, but it is sharp enough to cut you if you aren't careful.

My final thoughts on the Smith and Wesson CKSUR-4G " Homeland Security " knife are this. If you have the chance to buy one, I'd say go ahead. There are knives that are more expensive and can do basically the same thing as this one, but not everyone can afford a $150+ knife and that's where this knife shines. It is affordable and capable of withstanding any abuse that can be inflicted upon it.

I rate this knife as a 5 out of 5

As always, this is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment