Sunday, March 21, 2010

Random Thoughts # 9: UCW 7.62x39mm ammo

Hey there folks, your old pal 12-Gauge Chimp here with a brand spanking new edition of Random Thoughts.

I recently found out the sporting goods store where I purchased my Mosin-Nagant had a small supply of Winchester military grade buckshot. Being the sucker I am for military stuff, I decided to buy a couple boxes. Well, when I went to purchase a box or three the manager of the store informed me they had sold out and he didn't know when they'd get any more in. Disappointed, I glanced over at the ammo shelves and noticed they had quite a few boxes of UCW 7.62x39mm ammo. I've heard of this ammo, but had never seen any in the shops I frequent. I bought two boxes and am eagerly awaiting when the weather heats up so I can get out to the range and test this ammo in my Model 59 SKS. Unlike my Mosin, my SKS will eat any kind of 7.62x39mm ammo I can get ahold of and that includes lacquer coated ammo.

Now that I think about it, most companies that produce lacquer coated 7.62x39 ammo have switched to a polymer coating. No matter, my SKS can and will chamber and fire the stuff.

Enough about my guns, on to the ammo.
It's made in Russia by the Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works and is imported into the US by various companies. It's Berdan primed and non-corrosive, which is a plus in my book. Most commercially made ammo coming out of Russia is non-corrosive and only the military surplus ammo is corrosively primed.

One thing I did hear about the ammo is that some folks in my area who had bought it claimed it jammed their AKs or SKS's. I told the counter guy that if folks would clean their guns once in awhile, they wouldn't have that problem. Folks, just because an AK or an SKS is tough, reliable and idiot-proof, it doesn't mean you never have to clean it.

That'll do it for this edition of Random Thoughts with 12-Gauge Chimp. Stay tuned for the next edition coming soon.
As always, this is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

7 comments:

  1. Ulyanosk is getting tougher to find. You have to search for it. In the early nighties ammo could not be given away and I stocked up on South African water proof ammo packs sealed in rubber material they madek Kodiak boats out of and also ammo by the crate was quite reasonable. Now 640 rd. spam cans are costing a lot more than they should... In Syria, I hear, bullets are being sold on the black market for $5 a pieace and AK-47 or other assault rifles cost $5,000.00

    ReplyDelete
  2. An impressive share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was simply doing little analysis on this. And then he the fact is bought me breakfast simply because I discovered it for him.. smile. So permit me to reword that: Thnx for any treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending plenty of time to talk about this, I am strongly regarding this and enjoy reading more about this topic. If it is possible, as you grow expertise, can you mind updating your blog site with a lot more details? It is actually extremely a good choice for me. Massive thumb up because of this article! 5.7x28 ammo

    ReplyDelete