Thursday, December 23, 2010

Guns and Gear Review # 9: CRKT Hammond Cruiser

Hey folks, 12-Gauge Chimp here with a new knife review. Now I know it's been awhile since my last knife review ( the Ka-Bar K2 Agama), but I have a good excuse. The reason I waited so long to do another knife review was because I didn't buy any knives after the Ka-Bar Agama. One of the local sporting goods stores was having a Christmas sale and I picked up a CRKT Hammond Cruiser pocket knife. It usually retails for around 60 dollars US , but since I bought it on sale, I got mine for the low price of 21 dollars US.

Here's the factory specifications on the Hammond Cruiser.
Overall length: 9 inches
Blade length: 3.75 inches
Blade material: AUS-8 stainless steel

It's a combo edge blade with half of the blade plain edged and the other serrated edged, which is what I'm looking for in a knife. It weighs about as much as the Ka-Bar K2 Agama and is about the same size. I've done a few tests with the knife and it passed all of them with flying colors. My only gripes are with the length of the pocket clip and the liner lock system is a bit stiff, but that problem will go away with use. The pocket clip is slightly shorter than the clip on the Agama, but not by much. I currently own two CRKT knives, including the Hammond Cruiser. The other is a CRKT Stiff Kiss that I had a friend custom make some new handle scales for since I wasn't a fan of the factory nylon cord wrapping it came with. Will I purchase CRKT knives in the future ? Yes I will. The Hammond Cruiser will accompany my Ka-Bar Agama as part of my EDC system.

All in all, I recommend the CRKT Hammond Crusier pocket knife. It has it's faults, like the kind of short pocket clip and the rather stiff liner lock, but those are just minor things that I don't like. Not everyone is going to have the same opinions on that as I do nor do I expect them to.

The CRKT Hammond Cruiser gets the 12-Gauge Chimp seal of approval.

Have a Merry Christmas, everyone.

As always, this is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment