Thursday, August 13, 2009

Random Thoughts # 3: Collecting Military surplus firearms

Hello folks, 12-Gauge Chimp here again bringing you another random thought.

Collecting military surplus guns can be a fun way to blow a paycheck or two and it can also be a way to learn a bit of firearms/military history ( at least for me anyway, your results may vary). Now I've only been collecting surplus guns for about 3 or so years, but I plan to buy more in the future, so stay tuned for that. I tend to go towards the older guns first, as the majority of my collection is over 40 years old, with the exception of my Mossberg 12 gauge.

My first mil-surp gun was my Yugoslav M-59 SKS. It was my first semi auto center fire rifle, the first gun I ever bought was a cheap .22, a Marlin model 60 that got sold as soon as I could find a willing buyer. That SKS started me off in the wonderful world of military surplus collecting, as I bought a Mosin Nagant M91/30 some time after and then added an M1895 Nagant revolver to my collection last year.

The first thing you want to do when you buy any surplus or used firearm, for that matter, is get it checked out by a competent gunsmith, preferably one that knows surplus guns, trust me they are out there. After the gunsmith has given you the ok, it is now time to buy ammo for your gun. Make sure you buy the right ammo for your gun. There should be a stamping on the barrel or receiver with the caliber of the gun, along with the serial number.

You also might want to pick up a weapons manual for your particular firearm and a cleaning kit, because some guns will be covered in some really funky stuff called " cosmoline ", which is a military grease that is supposed to protect the gun from rust during the long periods of storage most surplus guns endure. You'll find collecting surplus firearms a kind of fun and relatively cheap hobby, though not quite as cheap as it was 5 or so years ago.

Well that's it for this edition of 12-Gauge Chimp's Random Thoughts.
This is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment