Saturday, August 15, 2009

Range Report #2: Mosin Nagant and Yugo SKS M-59

Hello folks, 12-Gauge Chimp here with the second range report of the series. This range trip took place about 5 or so months ago and it was just after I bought my M91/30.

The day started out like any other, I woke up and went about my day. I knew my best friend was in town that day so I called him up and asked him if he was interested in helping me blow through a box or two of ammo. I packed my M91/30 and my Yugo SKS, along with the aforementioned boxes of ammo ( word of caution, if at all possible avoid laqcuer coated 7.62x54R rounds, they tend to make the bolt of most Mosin Nagants stick). We headed out to our local range and proceeded to set up our targets ( which consisted of wild watermelons and other stuff). This particular range had no problem with letting us bring unusual targets.

The Mosin was new to both of us and my friend had limited experience with an SKS, but he knew how to safely handle it as he had fired it once before. Now before we commenced firing, I went over the basics of the gun with him, the usual how to load it, cock it and how to use the sights. To be honest, we didn't really hit squat in the first hour or so, but once we got used to the military sights, we zeroed in on the watermelons and hit them with numerous 180 grain projectiles.

I found out a few things that day.

1. the military sights on the M91/30 are kind of hard to use, but once you get used to them, they are pretty accurate rifles.

2.The cartridge interupter built into the M91/30's magazine is SHARP, I found that out in a moment of brilliance and left the range with a nice little cut down the middle of my thumbnail.

3.You'd be suprised at how much a small cut on the thumbnail can bleed and its also a good idea to bring a first aid kit just in case.

4.Never shoot a watermelon when the wind is blowing at you.Watermelon juice and dust are not a good combination.

5.My Mosin Nagant hates laqcuer coated ammo.

6.My SKS will chamber and reliably fire all types of 7.62x39mm ammo on the market.

Other than being doused in melon juice and dust which is a really funky way to end a day, my friend and I had a fun day.

Well that's it for this edition of 12-Gauge Chimp's Range Reports, as always this is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment