Thursday, September 24, 2009

Random Thoughts # 4: Army surplus stores

Hey folks, 12-Gauge Chimp here with another edition of random thoughts.
I know it's been awhile since I last updated the site, but I have an excuse for that. I was on vacation and I did not have access to my computer at that point ( I forgot to pack my laptop, I know I'm an idiot.) Anyway while I was on vacation, I stopped off at a military surplus store where I bought and saw some real neat stuff.

First off, the store itself was one of those " blink and you miss it " type shops. I think I spent about an hour or so just cruising the aisles looking for something to buy. The shop's walls were covered in old military rifles and other assorted stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger collection of old single action pocket pistols outside a museum, it was pretty cool.
The guy behind the gun counter was really nice and was actually knowledgeable about firearms, which is a rarity nowadays. He answered all my questions and even knew what I was talking about when I mentioned owning a Mossberg bullpup, but the shop did not have the part I needed at the time, so I'm still on the lookout for forward pistol grip. Maybe a call to Mossberg will solve my dilemma.

Ok, back to the store. The prices were what you'd expect for surplus stuff and if I would have had enough money I would have left that store with a ton of surplus equipment. I then went to a big box sporting goods store and bought some camping gear, mostly because I had a gift card from a year or two ago and I was curious to see if it still was valid. (if anyone cares, yes it was still valid.)
I spent my vacation well, I spent time with some of my family and I bought a lot of stuff I technically needed and I had a good time at the surplus store. I highly recommend stopping at places like this, you never know what you might find.

Well that's it for this edition of random thoughts, as always this is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment