Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Random Thoughts # 6: Buying a new gun

Hey guys 12-Gauge Chimp here with another edition of Random Thoughts.

Well it's that time again folks, time for me to add a new gun to my collection. Over the last few months I have been scouring the internet for the best deal on an AK-47 or similar rifle. So far I've found a few places that seem to have a good selection and all I really need to do now is narrow my choices down as to which rifle I'm going to get. I'm kind of stuck choosing between a Romanian WASR-10 AK and a Hungarian AMD-65 AK, now both are AK-47 pattern rifles, but they each have their pros and cons, which will be explained below.

-The WASR-10 is a standard military rifle with classic AK looks.
The pros of the WASR-10 are:
1. It has a full military style wooden stock
2. It accepts standard AK magazines
3. It is the cheapest version out there
4. Easy to customize
The cons are:
1. The front sight and rear sights may be canted( or off to one side)
2. Since the gun comes into the country in a " sporting " configuration, the fit and finish may have defects

-The AMD-65 is a Hungarian copy of the AK-47 with a unique side folding stock.
It's pros are:
1. With the stock folded, it's very compact
2. It too accepts standard AK magazines
3. It is also one of the cheapest AKs on the market
4.It has a standard forward pistol grip
The cons of the AMD-65 are:
1.The stock looks kind of weird and unstable
2.It needs to have a certain number of U.S made parts to use imported AK magazines

Overall both rifles have advantages and disadvantages, but it's nothing a couple extra bucks and some work in my spare time can't fix. The real hard part is choosing which rifle is right for me
Well whatever rifle I end up with, I'll be sure to post a review and a range report as soon as I can.

That's going to do it for this edition of 12-Gauge Chimp's Random Thoughts and
as always this is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment