Sunday, October 25, 2009

Random Thoughts # 7 update

Hey guys, 12-Gauge Chimp here with an update to my last post.

It seems after a bit of internet investigating, I have found out some things about my kukri.
( for the full report, see Random Thoughts # 7 ).

The first thing I found out is the steel used for the blade is 440 stainless steel, which is good for corrosion and rust resistance, but not so good for heavy use knives, such as the kukri. Now a good working knife, like the kukri, is made from high carbon steel, as high carbon steel can withstand the abuse a kukri is normally put through.

The second thing I found out was that the handle was a bit loose, but it's nothing a little epoxy can't fix. Now it's not a bad knife, but since finding out it is nothing more than a cheap " tourist " kukri, it will now be limited to a display or light duty knife. It does come with a supposed " lifetime " warranty but since I bought it at a flea market I'm screwed if the thing breaks. I'll only be out a couple bucks, but still, this knife will not see heavy use.

I did find a couple sources for actual Nepalese made kukris. All I need to do now is find a kukri model I like, place my order and then wait a week or two until it arrives from Nepal. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Well that'll do it for this update, as always this is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

3 comments:

  1. The best kukris come from spring steel from salvaged vehicles. The cold steel kukri is a nice high carbon steel for use as a tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Presenting the other first rate cleaver by Panga is the Condor Tool and Knife Viking 20-inches. The claim to fame of this cleaver is, it accompanies an impacted silk finish high carbon steel that is strengthened and warmed up to 50 Rockwell hardness around. The cutting edge resembles razor sharpener, and its edge is hand wrapped up. kukri machete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checkout Visit our website to know more about kukri machete
    Buy kukri machete

    ReplyDelete