Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Random Thoughts # 8: Yet another Mosin

Hey folks, it's your old pal 12-Gauge Chimp back again with a new set of random thoughts.

Well, it had to happen sooner or later, another Mosin will soon find its way to my collection. I sold my Nagant revolver to a friend and now I have an empty space in my gun collection, so that means I must fill the void with a new gun. This is where the Mosin comes in.

A local gun shop has a small number of Mosin M44 carbines in stock and I will be purchasing one in the coming months. Now I have an M91/30, but I've been looking for another Mosin for sometime now. Besides, it gives me a reason to buy another gun.

The Mosin M44 was created to fill the need for a compact rifle in the Red Army. They had tried to fill that need with the M38 carbine, but reports came in from troops who wished for a bayonet attachment, which the M38 lacked. In steps the M44 with its side folding bayonet. Early on in the war, the Russians mainly issued the M91/30, but soon would issue the M38 and M44 as alternate rifles to the troops as the war went on. It was not uncommon to see entire units armed with the three different Mosin rifles.

Well that's pretty much it for this edition of Random Thoughts. I'll be sure to update you all as to when I get the M44 and I'll even post a review and eventually a range report. As always, this is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

Update: The shop that has the M44s now has a limited stock of M38 carbines. So now I'm torn between buying the M44 or the M38. I'll post another edition of random thoughts soon and let you guys know which rifle I end up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment