Friday, July 24, 2009

Guns and Gear Review # 4: Mossberg 500 bullpup

Hello folks, 12-Gauge Chimp back again with the last gun review, for now anyways. Today I'll be reviewing the Mossberg 500 Bullpup shotgun.

Now usually I give a bit of history behind the gun, like the past three reviews I've done, but since I don't know the entire history behind this particular gun, I'll just skip all that and get to the review.

I purchased this shotgun at a local gun shop and being relatively new to the whole shotgun game, I had little experience with them. I had been told to buy an Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, so I knew what to look for, sort of. Lo and behold I walk into this gun shop and staring me in the face was my shotgun, a used Mossberg 500 bullpup. I paid the sum of $280 for it and after the required background check, it was mine. As an added bonus, the guy at the shop even threw in a box of shells at no charge. I thought that was pretty nice of him.

The basics of the Mossberg bullpup aren't that much different from the standard 500, just a few minor cosmetic tweaks. When this gun came from the factory, it had a vertical fore grip, but when I bought it, it was missing, and now I'm stuck looking for the factory grip (which is a pain in my neck, by the way) The heat shield works very well and after firing a few boxes of shells, it kept the barrel cool to the touch. The only thing I do not like about this shotgun, aside from the missing VFG, is the sight/carry handle. They do take some getting used to, but I have learned to aim a bit low and have successfully hit what I'm aiming at.

This is not a shotgun to hunt or shoot skeet with, but I'm ok with that besides it gives me an excuse to buy another shotgun for that purpose. If you ever come across a Mossberg 500 bullpup shotgun, buy it, because these guns are very rarely seen on the used market.

Well I hope you enjoyed my series of gun reviews, I promise there will be more, but for the time being this is it. As always this is 12-Gauge Chimp signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment